Thursday, January 13, 2011

UNO with a Maths twist

Somehow, children grasp concepts faster when they are having fun.
And I believe that there are many fun and exciting ways for children to learn Maths.
One of the most fun Maths activities that my Bottoms Up tutees enjoy will be playing with UNO cards.


Nope, we don't play UNO the traditional way during class.
This modified UNO game got Maths twist one and I guarantee their multiplication skills will improve.
Confirm plus chop!

So basically, I'll pair them up.
Each person picks a card.
Say Tutee A picked a card with Number 8, while Tutee B picked a card with Number 7.
Both will need to multiply the 2 numbers.
The one who announces the answer first will get to keep both cards and they go on multiplying and collecting as many cards as they can.
The one with the most cards WIN!


Now, Nyla also enjoys watching this UNO competition amongst my Bottoms Uppers.

So I thought about how I could let her have her fun with the UNO cards since the UNO cards belonged to her. (Princesses Edition somemore..yah, I pity my Bottoms Upper Boys! Heee!)


Nyla is currently learning simple addition and subtraction in school.
So what I did was to let her select 2 cards at a time.
She could:
add up the 2 numbers on the cards....
OR
compare which number is greater or smaller....
OR
subtract the smaller number from the bigger number.


Watch this video for a better understanding, mommies!



Hope you liked what I just shared.
Have fun playing with your cutesies. :)

4 comments: