Monday, September 6, 2010

Workshop 2: Composition Transformers



Jennifer Ong is especially pumped about making a difference at the upcoming workshop. The rational in me admires the utilitarian, the romantic in me relishes the value. Lo and behold! The narrative nazis are here.


I smiled to myself when I saw the above status update posted by my partner, Jenn, on her facebook profile page. How true sista. Hugs.



Just like our first Oral Communication Workshop, we had a rockin' good time being narrative nazis last weekend.


There were new faces. Big hello to all of you!


There were also comeback duos and we were absolutely thrilled to see them again because it meant one important thing: They found our workshops effective.











The attentive adults. Going to quote Mdm Samsiah's comments: "As a parent I can definitely use the strategies with my child, bearing in mind all these pointers when I read her essays."


This is precisely the reason why The Bottoms Up Club organises Parent PLUS Child (DUO) workshops.


Parents absorb the facts and teaching methods while the kids apply what they have learnt. So when they go home, Jenn and I envision the parents and children sitting down together sharing about what they have learnt at the workshop. :)



The focused kiddos.



Back when I was teaching, I remember my form class going "YESSAR!" whenever I assigned them a writing task because they were really excited about collaborating with their own group members and compete against the other groups for the title of "Best Introduction", Best Conclusion" etc.

So I discussed with Jenn and we mutually agreed to hold this fun and engaging activity during the workshop.



Nyonya Jenn chit chatting while Mak-chic (Hehehehehe!) Nura dedicated herself to work. Heeee! :P

No lah, Jenn was busy imparting whatever knowledge she has with regards to writing an excellent essay to the sporting mommies in da house!



Yes, even the adults had to participate in the Competition Compo. This group really took this 'game' seriously and Jenn and I absolutely loved their story of the Burger Ramly seller who robbed his own house to claim insurance! Of course the kids scratched their heads and went 'Huh"! Too cheem for them.



Anyway, yeah, besides mommies and sisters, we do have daddies at the workshop! How awesome is that! Their wives are so blessed to have such 'on' other halves!




The kids sharing their ideas with our facilitators of the workshop.






Huge thanks to our facilitators, Shofi, Natalie and Adrian for guiding the children during their group work!

Big Tight Hugs!





One nice big happy family.




During the workshop, all of us also seemed to have cultivated a 'knowledge sharing culture'. Jenn and I are not the only gurus.

Let's take for example, Mdm Haryanty (in the picture above with her 2 children)

After the workshop, I was casually telling her that I am rather worried about Nyla coping with Mother Tongue when she enters Primary One and she recommended me the "Bacalah Anakku" series. Just when I thought I should embark on a hunt for those books, Yanty emailed me this on the very same day:

" I still have the above mentioned books & thought of giving them to u to guide Nyla. U can give it a trial run first before u decide to invest a set for yourself. But I guarantee u that they are very effective! There are total 8 series. If ur OK, i can pass them to u anytime. Do give me a buzz if ur interested :)"


I feel so touched can?! Thanks again sis. Will come knocking on your door soon enough. Hehe!


We also had 2 fellow primary school teachers who joined us. Cheecher Mahd ( a fellow online buddy!) and Cheecher Samsiah. Truly yr pupils are blessed to have their teachers sacrifice their weekend to attend this writing workshop just so they can do better. :)

Anyway, back to the Composition Transformers Workshop, here are some of the encouraging feedback given.

Great Job! Interesting lesson. Keep it up! - Mdm Ellya Talib


Interactive session. Reminded me of my own PSLE and O Level Workshops. Interesting 'out of the box' approach. -Mdm Sheetal Roy


Thanks for such an awesome writing workshop. It was definitely very helpful for me in guiding my son and other children in their schoolwork. I believe the workshop will benefit my son in his upcoming PSLE. - Mdm Nora Azman



When asked what other areas of training would they like to reieve/attend, Mdm Ika wrote this: 'Whatever workshops that you will be organising.'

And when we asked for any specific date, Mdm Jayne included 'Any date!' on her feedback form.

Yeap, Jenn and I are truly blessed to have such sporting parents who go all out for their children's education.

Salute them!


So Jenn and I have decided that we hold our THIRD workshop in less than 3 weeks' time.

Yes, we hear you parents!




This time it will be "Unpacking the EL PAPER 2 Luggage" Workshop!

*Nyonya Jenn and Mak-Chic Nura will do a post mortem of every component of the English Language Paper 2 and point out pupils' common mistakes.

*As with the previous 2 workshops, we will share specific strategic skills on how to 'attack' the ultimate villains: Comprehension and Cloze Passage.


WHAT: "Unpacking the EL Paper 2 Luggage" Workshop (suitable for Primary 5 & 6- End of year exams and PSLE coming yo.)


WHEN: 25 September 2010


TIME: 10am - 1pm


COST: $85


*For those who have attended our previous workshops, Jenn will be sending you peeps an email soon! WINKS!:) *


VENUE: To be confirmed. ( We have to look for a bigger space due to popular demand! Wooots!)

Interested, do not hesitate to email me at nuraesman@gmail.com
I'm already on standby in front of the computer liao. Heeee! :p