Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Giving Tree

'The Giving Tree' by Shel Silverstein is one of my favourite books of all time.
I came across this uplifting, yet deeply profound book written by Shel Silverstein while I was training to be a teacher at NIE.

While the book is pretty simple, I personally feel that the message is universal and appeal to anyone, young and old alike. It is also a timeless kind of book.


The past week, I read aloud 'The Giving Tree' to my tutees who are between the ages of 10-13 and they loved it very much.
Of course, I had to tweak my post reading English Language activities catered to their abilities.
The kids did a reflection and most of them feel that the morale of this touching story is self sacrifice.
Whatever the boy wanted from the tree, he received.
Most of my tutees also criticised the boy for only 'taking' because they argue that in life, one should give and take.
I was very pleased to hear this because kids nowadays can be pretty selfish and for them to realise that 'give and take' is important, you kinda feel proud.
They also mentioned how the tree is an epitome of a parent. Kids nowadays just do not understand how much their parents have sacrificed to provide for them and I sincerely hope that my tutees and even Nyla for that matter, will treasure their parents for all the sacrifices.

Anyway,
if you haven't read this book, do borrow it.
If you haven't watched this video, please do.
I apologise in advance if I made you tear though......

THE GIVING TREE