Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pulling back....

Some of my friends' kiddos...They settle their homework once they reach home.
Others like my Nyla, need downtime to relax first...then she will hit the books. She works better on a full stomach or after fiddling with her crafts.

Now that Nyla is in Primary 4, I expect her to work independently from start to end.

She knows she's a big girl now so she's the one who suggested doing up a timetable. Only that......





Only that the timetable she has in mind macam tak balanced gitu kan.
Mari Mak enter frame and balance kan sikit.
Hehhehehe.

Once she has set off for school before I handle my property and Pearlista work, I go through her assessment books/papers and then assign work for her to do.  
Tak banyak la sangat.
I also give her the liberty to reduce if she comes back from school with heavy homework load.

"Mommy today I have Maths homework. Banyak seh. So your Maths I won't do today ok."

"Ok can..' will be my reply.

Sometimes she will push her boundaries abit....

"Mommy, besok ada ejaan....so the Malay assessment book I won't do ok."

My reply: Relaks sua. Ejaan will only take 10 mins of your time. No can do. After you settle ejaan you proceed to do the work I have assigned to you."

Her reply: Ala boring la you.

Sometimes, when she's not in a full on productive mood, she will come up with this kind of nonsense.


The battles at home.

Me:Nyla, come on. Don't be like that. Try darling. (Manja sikit la kan)

Nyla: So difficult. *WAILS*
Nyla again: So many questions somemore. *WAILS MORE*
Nyla AGAINNNNN: You help me pls Mommyyyyyyy...

Me: NYLA YOU STOP THIS NONSENSE. THEN FORGET IT. JUST HAND THIS  UNANSWERED TOMORROW TO YOUR TEACHER. IF IT WORKS FOR YOU, SO BE IT!
(Kan Mak dah explode.)

Nyla: Ok ok I'm trying whatttttttt. *mumbles*

Nyla is already at the age whereby she's developing independence so I am trying to pull back a little from my involvement.  On days I'm working, I'll give her a ring or send her whatsapp messages to remind her about her homework but I try not to micromanage the process and give allowance sikit.

You see la. I only pull back a little...become like thisssss!

However there are moments when Nyla herself would feel like she has been a bit irresponsible, not keeping up with time and she herself would feel guilty.


So because of this episode, she actually downloaded Azan app on her phone to remind her and I'm like, "Ah, so she's this kind of girl. Get her to make her own mistakes and she will rectify on her own."

Amazing hikmah behind this. Thank you Allah!


I must admit that watching her make mistakes is unnerving. I want to control the situation to avoid her from suffering or experiencing stress, like kena scold by teacher etc.

However, I have come to realise from the 'Nyla dah overshot waktu Maghrib' incident, that if I correct her every mistake, Nyla will never learn right from wrong.

She might enter adulthood unsure on how to handle certain life lessons or even worse, make light of a serious situation, hence running the risk of depending on others (me la!) for resolutions.

So now, I must try my level best not to overextend the help.

And I think Nyla is ready for me to allow her to go through the motions so she can figure things out on her own.

You're a big girl now Nyla....Mommy and Daddy will except accept you for who you are! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment