Friday, October 19, 2012

Help them BLOOM...not WILT

Dearest Primary 4 and 5 mommies and daddies,
Next year, your children will enter a very tough zone. (P5 and P6 respectively)
It's the exam period now and I wish your children the very best for their exams.

Sidetrack abit.

A week ago, Nyla brought home her mini test results.
Satisfactory. Not fantastic kind of results.
My mom was with me and she saw the paper.
Mom: Nyla...You're in Primary 1. You must get 95 above!

I flipped big time when I heard that because Nyla seemed to be pleased with her results when she showed us the paper.
Me: Mom, pls. She improved. Thats's a 4 marks improvement from her previous test tau Mom. Make a big deal of that instead pls.

That night, my mom was hurt because I snapped at her. (Oh Allah forgive me.)

Alhamdullilah, my mom and I are back to being 'members' liao. Phew.
Last night, I called her.

Me: Exam period. Quite stressed seh Mom. Hope Nyla does well.

My mother's reply touched me deep.
Mom: Budak tu baru Primary 1. Tak payah la kita stress. Whatever results she get, kita harus bersyukur. We value Nyla's effort, Kin. Academics not everything la. Janji budak tu happy.

Amazing.
This, coming from my mother. She used to put high expectations on me and siblings. (Only my elder brother exceeded her expectations then. Me and the younger one, hancur abis. lol. But we're redeeming ourselves to her now. At our own pace.)

Dearest mom,
Thank you for adapting to my style. For not resenting change.

Okay back to the purpose of the entry.

I may not be the best person to give advice. However, I need to let this out of my chest. If not, I'll feel guilty.
So here goes...

Should your child perform very poorly particularly for his/her Maths paper.
Please. I beg you on behalf of your innocent and clueless I'll-do-whatever-my-parents-instruct-me-to-do child.
OPT FOR FOUNDATION MATHS next year.

Pls k. I'm not telling you this so that you can send your kids have tuition with me. Nope. Never send also never mind one.

Just do this favour for your child.
You know your child better. So even if his form teacher presses you to opt for 'Standard Maths', be firm.
The one sitting for exams is not you.
Not the form teacher.
It's your beloved child.

If he/she tells you that he/she cannot cope, please do not torture them further and say, "It's okay la! Kau jangan macam macam eh! Just buck up, pay attention to teacher from next year onwards! Boleh pass punya!"

Have you seen how difficult the Maths paper is now?
You don't even know how to solve, you expect your child can?
How do you expect your kids to do that when they are unable to grasp the basic mathematical concepts from previous years?
You expect your children to miraculously pass when they enter Upper Primary when they have been failing consistently for 4 years?

Believe me.
Come P5/P6, these kids will be THRUSTED into an upward spiral and be taught even more complicated concepts.
Those kids who understand, will regurgitate during exams. They pass. Yeay for them!
Those who don't undertand will take in as many as they can even though they catch no balls.
During exams, they choke.
Choke= Die.
They fail.
They will lose interest and hate Maths. 

But you know what's the saddest part?
They give up and just switch off.

If they have reached this part, 2 things here, I have mentioned over at RIA 89.7fm interview with Hafeez Glamour 2 days ago.
Either we help them bloom ....or they will wilt.

BUT THE FORM TEACHER SAYS THAT IF TAKE FOUNDATION SUBJECTS HIGH POSSIBILITY END UP IN NORMAL TECHNICAL STREAM TAAAAUUUUUUUU NURA!!!

So what?
Ain't that a better than the possibility of your child repeating their Primary 6?

And if they repeat their Primary 6 (touch wood), they will have to take foundation subjects on their second shot at PSLE.
So see, you should have opted for Foundation stream in the first place.
You could have saved 1 year for your children.
Time is precious k. Even for kids.

I'd like to share with you my former tutee's story.
You might know her.

Her mother has definitely made the right decision for her after her end of year Primary 4 exams.
Her mother opted Standard English, Standard Malay, Foundation Mathematics, Foundation Science for her in Primary 5 and 6.

Zayma thrived in Primary 5. I even asked if she'd like to switch to Standard Maths in Primary 6.

Her reply: NO MDM NURA! I NEVER LIKED MATHS BEFORE THIS! I REALLY AM HAPPY NOW!

Her mother listened to her.

Zayma performed really well for her PSLE.
She was crying tears of joy.
To see a kid cry tears of joy, aiyoh so touching can?

Zayma made it to Normal Academic stream.(So the Foundation Maths= Normal Technical theory does not apply)
Because she is learning at a comfortable pace, she loves her lessons in school.
She made to to Secondary 3 Express.

Aced Elementary Maths and is taking Additional Maths now.

Really wow, this Zayma.
Foundation Maths in P5/P6.
A1 for E Maths consistently and now the school gave the option of taking A Maths!




Other than the fact that she is improving, you know what makes me truly happy?
The fact that this child has rediscovered the joy of learning with regards to Mathematics.

So let's take a step back and not be results oriented.
We send our kids not because we want them to score A* and As and make them make us feel good.

We send our kids to school to enjoy their learning process.

Anyway, while typing, E told me to share our conversation with Nyla.

Me: Nyla, try your best ok! No careless mistakes yaaaaa!!!
Nyla: Ok mommy.....Mommy, if I get like 50 out of 46 okay?
Me: What kind of marks is that seh Nyla?
Nyla: Oh sorry sorry. I mean 50 out of 48?


Faint-able moment I know..

Nyla, whatever your results..be it 46/50 or 50/48, Daddy and I  will accept because I know you have tried your best.

To the current Primary 4 and 5 parents, I hope there is a takeaway from this entry.
Let us help our kids enjoy learning and become passionate learners.

And parents who have a phobia of Normal Technical stream (I really find there is nothing wrong with this!) and you think that if your child takes Foundation subjects, confirm plus chop he/she ends up in Normal Technical stream, you might wanna read this.

PS: If any of you who are reading this and have inspirational stories of your children who are doing well in Foundation stream, please do feel free to email me at nuraesman@gmail.com k!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Nura,
    You may want to consider liasing with 4PM to find out about ITE students who have done well and even furthering their studies to University.These people will be a great source of motivation to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww this post made me teary eyed. I'm teaching P5 Math n my heart breaks for them everyday.. All the remainder concept branching, internal external unchanged ratio and all sorts of alien invasion coming at them at such speed. Plus the stigmatisation and manipulation of The Big Bad Foundation subjects. Stuck between a rock and a hard place... Hope I can see more Zayma around. She's truly inspirational... U go girl !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u ,Nura for this writeup. I have 2 twin girls going to P4 next yr. Maths kinda their weakest subjects. And am glad u bring this up to remind me as a mother, to level down to their comfortability and push up the confidence level. Be it Maths or other subjects.

    Zayma's story truly inspires me. Thank u:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank u for sharing this write up dear. My 2nd daughter is the same as Nyla (P1) this year and my 1st will be entering P4 next year. I used to set high expectation on them, sampai everytime I ajak dorang do revision they feel like going thru a death sentence gitu (my poor girls). After reading ur write up, i've decided to tone down a bit. Like you mentioned, learning must be a fun experience not torture :D.

    Zayma's story inspires me too...

    ReplyDelete