Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My shining star


I was Zayma's Primary 5 form teacher in 2008.
First time I saw her, I knew this one was a shining star.
Her handwriting was so neat.
Her eyes never blinked when I taught.

Her ambition at that time was to do well enough to go to secondary school.
"Zayma, that goal of yours need to be stretched. Too easy for you."
I remembered telling her that.

Since she was in the foundation stream, her path she thought would be what most would expect.
To Normal Technical Stream...Then ITE...Then Poly.

But this girl is too good and I knew that I had to stretch her. I'm glad she was willing to take on more challenging questions during the tuition sessions.
PSLE Results Day was a sweet one for her.
Read her entry here.

I continued teaching her even though she is already a secondary school student.
Before Zayma arrived, I'd be studying like mad because my brain so rusty liao.

I've never met any child so independent in her learning journey. Usually, I'd liase with my tutees' parents but this girl really takes charge of her academics. I've always instilled in my charges that one must always ask if you require new knowledge or when you're in doubt.
I salute Zayma for having that iniative to always approach me and seek my guidance.



A few weeks ago, Zayma SMSed me.

Such pleasant news.

Who would have thought that a Foundation pupil can actually score A1 for E Maths and have the option of taking Additional Maths? (I last time Express stream also never given this option lor!)
How amazing is that?

Zayma, you have surpassed my expectations and I am very honoured to be your teacher/tutor.
I will always be here for you dear. :)
Congratulations on your success. Keep soaring!

2 comments:

  1. Felt so emotional reading this. Some might take it quite lightly, but i must say, if it wasn't for her determination, she wouldn't be there.

    Thumbs up to Zayma, and also to her darling teacher, Mdm Nura! :)

    Hani Rafie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i seriously wish that you were my teacher when i was still studying back then.

    ReplyDelete