Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Like, finally

On Nyla's 5th birthday last year, we revealed to you Nyla's first published book titled The Big Good Wolf.





I guess the reason it garnered the attention of many is because The Big Good Wolf is a local children's book produced by children for children. Besides, at the end of the book, there is a fun activity which encourages creativity and parent-child bonding.

Thanks to The Big Good Wolf, Nyla also is picking up storytelling skills (as well as public speaking) when we conduct storytelling sessions at the libraries. ( We have 'attacked' Jurong Regional Library, Bedok Community Library, Woodlands Regional Library and Sengkang Community Library)


We were also pleased to have The Big Good Wolf included in the Asian Children's Festival.
Thanks Haryani! (And congrats on 'Timang'. So proud of you!)


The only obstacle we faced was getting The Big Good Wolf out in bookstores.

This part got my head and Mr E's scratching because we were clueless.

Nyla always asked me this," How come my books at home ah?"
My answer would be," I sell them online babe."

Everytime, we are at Borders...Kinokuniya....Popular, Nyla would say this:

"If only The Big Good Wolf can join these books, mommy," said Nyla whenever we browsed books at the children's section.

So I embarked on a mission to make sure the remaining books at home be "shipped away" to bookstores.
Not an easy process at all. :(

Rejection sucks but at some point of everyone's life, sure kena reject mah, so just deal with it lor.

I used to be rejected by guys last time.
To the guys who rejected me, judging by the picture above, I totally understand. No hard feelings.

I used to be rejected by NUS.

I used to be rejected by NIE (Only got through the 2nd time)

I used to be rejected by The New Paper Face 2000 (Time peak period gemok abisnyer. What the hell was I thinking? Finally made it to top 20 in 2002! Never mind that I didn't win! The experience was unforgettable.)


Everytime I faced a rejection, I'd just bounce back like a tennis ball and try again. No hal.
BUT,
Back to The Big Good Wolf.
I faced a few rejections and man they hurt BIG time every single time. :(
Because this time, they all didn't reject me.
They rejected my 5 year old Nyla's and 12 year old pupil, Khilfie's hard work.
Initially, it took me awhile to get over these statements.
"Dear Nura,
We reviewed your proposal...BUT we regret to inform you blablablablaba... We wish you the best in your future endeavours."
WAAAAAAAAIIIIILLLLLLS!
I've dealt with plentiful rejections and you know they say..after every storm, there is a rainbow- in my case, acceptance.

I nearly gave up hope until I received a promising reply by Mr Johnson Lee, the director of MarketAsia Distributors who has expressed genuine interest in The Big Good Wolf and felt that "The book is interesting as it was the work of two young children and I feel that it would inspire/motivate other children to do likewise."
He then invited me down to his office to sign a contract.
Like, finally!

All praises to The One Above!

So peeps, it took The Big Good Wolf nearly a year to finally make it to the book shelves at bookstores.
It has been a long road and I'm glad I never gave up.
Today I have a piece of exciting and important news to share with you.
Drum roll please.....

For now, Nyla's The Big Good Wolf is now available at these bookstores:

1) Kinokuniya @ Ngee Ann City

2) Kinokuniya @ Bugis Junction

3) Kinokuniya @ Liang court

4) Page One @ Vivocity

5) Select Books @ Tanglin Shopping Centre
So I have learnt that failure is not fatal nor final.
You gotta 'just keep swimming.'
Now that this goal has been met, I'd like to share a very meaningful quote by Winston Churchill.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal.
It is the courage to continue that counts.
That being said, please do head to the bookstores mentioned above and grab The Big Good Wolf, which is suitable for children aged 4 to 8, for your children, cousins, nephews and nieces.
Nyla and I thank you in advance for the support! :)
Let's all encourage a love of reading in our young children because Dr Seuss said, “The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Have fun reading aloud The Big Good Wolf to your child and do participate in the fun activity where you can create stories togther with your child.
Have fun people because Nyla and I truly had one whale of a time writing stories together.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats to u and nyla! Gonna grab some for my son and clan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nura,

    TQ so much for the copy of The Big Good Wolf you have given me when i purchased your togas the other day .. my kids love it loads .. hope to hear more stories from Nyla again ..Nyla is such a gem ... sweet n smart .. Aini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaay..i'm grabbing mine too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the support. Means a lot to us.

    ReplyDelete