Saturday, April 3, 2010

Too Too 'Good' Friday

It wasn't just Good Friday yesterday.
It was the 'Best Friday' ever.

First event: Movie Treat for Bottoms Uppers!




I firmly believe that children must enjoy themselves in order to learn. Based on yesterday's session, I am pretty sure they enjoyed themselves.
Back when I was teaching, I screened movies (not the silly slapstick kinds ya!) to my pupils.Usually on the eve of a public holiday, Friday or after the term tests. etc.

Movies that can make them reflect, feel inspired etc. Their all time favourite is Cool Runnings!


While I was planning for a 'Good Friday' lesson plan, I decided to try letting them watch a movie adaptation of a book.
Before I screened 'The Lovely Bones', I have impressed upon my Bottoms Uppers that there is no film that can ever do justice to a book, because language can never be totally transformed in to a visual.

That is the beauty of all the great writers.
I personally think that Peter Jackson (yes, yes I also told them that he also directed Lord Of the Rings!) has crafted wonderful, heart wrenching story that is visually and emotionally beautiful.

'The Lovely Bones' is the story of Susie Salmon, a 14-year-old girl who was murdered on Dec. 6, 1973. She is adjusting to her new home in heaven while watching life on Earth continue without her. Her family goes through a difficult time coping with her 'disappearance' while her killer, her neighbour from just across the street, tries hard to cover his tracks.
Why did I choose 'The Lovely Bones'?
Well, Susie's problems are real, in life and death. The family dynamics and an adult world with terrifying threats. And basically to be aware that what goes around, usually comes around. Before the movie, I asked them to guess what the movie is about just based on the title. Here are what some of them wrote. All I can say is that I am proud of their imagination! Haha!

I THINK THE MOVIE IS ABOUT...
a family who loved to collect bones. (Freaky!)
someone looking for love. (Kes miyang la ni. haha)
someone who has found a dinosaur bone at his backyard. (Z, this is your child! Heee! And I expected this from him, believe it or not!)
a poor family who found some lovely bones that make them wealthy. (Wah! I also want!)
a family who loved eating bones until one of them choked and died. (Brutal!)

When the movie ended, many said, 'Cher, so touching.'
Believe it or not, a few of my tutees actually teared!I tried to stretch them tutees and sort of turn it into a 'Literature' lesson asking them to compare any two characters in the story that dealt/coped differently with Susie's death. Saw a little bit of their input and I was impressed!
We will discuss this aspect in further details the next lesson, ya tutees!
It wasn't just Good Friday yesterday! It was an Awesome Friday for us at Bottoms Up!


Second Event: Family Photoshoot.
I will blog more about the family photoshoot in greater detail once the pictures are with me.
For now, sneak peeks first okay!





Third event: Dinner at Orchid Country Club
This was rather impromptu. The 3 of us thought of heading to town when my dad called and asked us to go to Orchid Country Club and join the dinner function with him and his golf buddies. Glad we went to support my dad and his friends. I also bumped into Prema's (my YISS schoolmate and ex colleague!) godma and chatted with her about Prema who is now in States with her family. You are missed, dear! Kiss Raashmika for me. :)





So, there you go, AWESOME Friday to the max! :)