Thursday, December 17, 2009

I Thank You

*Jay* (not real name) sauntered into my classroom with a sparkling diamond ear stud (sure fake one!) on his left ear on the first day of school and fixed his stare at me.
Thank God he blinked his eyes and thus, didn’t see me gulp.
I just tapped on his shoulder gently and told him that I would appreciate if he were to abide by the school rules.


As he had to live up to his reputation of being the Chief Rebel of the entire school, he turned up the next day, with the bling bling still intact on his ear.
The rest of the pupils were just sitting there waiting to see me falter.

Jay was probably expecting me to turn into Miss Trunchbull, pull my hairs out and scream at him to remove that earring.
Calmly, I searched my bag for my most favourite pair of long, huge and dangly earrings I only wore to jemputans.

I walked to his desk and told him to instead put my earring on because it was way much nicer and shinier.

The class let out snorts of giggles.
It was truly a ridiculously funny moment.
Unforgettable too.

And then Jay let out such a sweet and charming senget sebelah smile as if to say, ‘Okay cher, you win!’
Phew.


When I was deployed to teach a Primary 6 EM3 class a few years ago, I was nervous.
I was only a 4 month old teacher.
I got extremely worried at the thought of appearing on the front page of ‘The New Paper’ with headline which read
‘TEACHER BEATEN UNCONSCIOUS BY HER P6 EM3 CHARGES.’

For those unfamiliar with the term ‘EM3’, it was a stream which grouped the weakest pupils together.

It was the worst stream as far as academic inclination is concerned.
The children from this highly unpopular stream faced labeling and stigmatization that comes from fellow schoolmates, some teachers (sad right?), family, friends and society at large.

Even our local filmmaker, Mr Jack Neo, recognised the social stigma and negative impact streaming places on kids, hence inspiring him to produce the popular film ‘I NOT STUPID.’

Kudos to you, Mr Jack Neo!
The film portrays the lives, struggles and adventures of three Primary 6 pupils placed in the EM3 stream.

As of 2008, schools have introduced ‘subject based banding’, bidding good riddance to the EM3 stream, much to everyone’s (especially the poor kids!) relief.

Along the way, I have discovered that these children with lower ability are a unique bunch who has ended up in the bottompit because they have struggled unsuccessfully with so many personal problems.

They tend to be rude and rough around the edges, hardened by their respective tough lives.

However, I must say that they are by far the most honest and caring people I’ve ever encountered.
Once they realise that we sincerely believe in them, they give you a deep level of respect and will do anything to make you proud.

I'm sure many of you form teachers of the end classes agree with me.

I have also learnt that lessons should not only be focused on grammar, fractions, simple machines etc.
My hand and the whiteboard had been merely a vehicle for something much much more profound.
Teaching may in fact have less to do with skills and more to do with loving.

Sometimes, it’s not always about a teacher touching pupils' lives.

Sometimes, it’s vice versa.

Over the years, I have received ‘Thank You’ letters from these kids and their parents.


Strange because I should have been the one thanking them.

Mdm Nura will never ever forget you my former pupils.