Monday, April 20, 2009

Road less travelled

I've been toying with this idea since I made the decision to be a full time mom.
However, every time I think of doing this, my heart will beat so damn very fast because the act of taking full responsibility for the education of Nyla kinda freaks me out.
So many questions will erupt in this head of mine.
Am I competent enough?
Do I have the patience?
Will I stay committed?

I am in the midst of doing research. It seems to be taking forever but I really have to be very sure.
Shifu Kesy, I definitely need your help!
Thankfully, my family is very supportive and for this, I am pretty relieved.

Well, I have till end of this year to decide whether I am going to homeschool Nyla.

Meanwhile, I'll just give homeschooling a go as a complement to Nyla's current school just to explore her interests and keep her curiosity alive.
At least, it will get easier for both Nyla and myself to move into homeschooling next year (insyaallah) because we are already accustomed to lots of learning at home.

I am not expecting my child to be a genius.
I just want to keep the spark of enthusiastic learning alive in my babe.

Being a former teacher, I have experienced many moments of frustration and sympathised with the pupils who couldn't cope. There were bright ones who had to slow down to accomodate their slower peers. And then, the slow ones who were drowning and eventually drowned.
At least at home, I know my babe will be free to find her own level.

What say you, Nyla?
Do you want to wake up every morning with that Friday afternoon feeling of freedom just like Mommy?