Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2 in 1

Funny how people assume that by me being a full-time mommy, I am completely out of the workforce.
To set the record straight, being a full-time mommy means that I have to be creative in pursuing my interests around my primary obligation to Nyla.

Teaching has been and will always remain my passion.
To be precise, I am most effective dealing with children of low ability.
I was still a beginning teacher when the school saw my potential and entrusted me to be the form teacher of a Primary Six EM3 class, which performed really well during the PSLE. Alhamdullilah. I miss those bunch of kiddos very much.

In school, I have a reputation of being that garang teacher who has no problems managing a class. I was flexible yet set boundaries, understanding yet firm, playful yet can have a serious temperament.
Even the pupils were shocked when they realised I wasn't at all like the Kak Nura in KRAYON.

My spirit soars when I teach, and right now I am working from home as an educational consultant when Nyla is in school.
This involves tutoring children who are struggling in school and working with their parents to understand the reasons for their children's lack of motivation.
I feel really great after every tuition session or parents' meeting. Seeing those kids' smiling faces as they enter and exit my home warms my heart.

Thank you Allah for giving me this opportunity to do the 2 noble jobs which I absolutely love:
Mothering and Teaching.

Every mom's challenge is to do something we love and at the same time have a fulfilling family life.
I am feeling a great degree of happiness right now because the current work situation allows for that integration.

Excuse me now while I play with my daughter before my dad fetches her and sends her to school since I have 3 back to back tuition sessions later! Then I have my dad in law who will fetch her from school and send her home.
I am so blessed with the wonderful, wonderful support network. Alhamdulillah.

It's my dad's birthday today, by the way.
Happy Birthday my dearest Paps.
You are such a wonderful Tok Daddy you know that?

With his Number One fan.