Monday, May 3, 2010

Mathematics

Primary Six Mathematics is no joke, boy.
I felt my 'O' level Mathematics questions were way easier than Primary Mathematics, which explained why I received a distinction for the former.

Seriously, I personally feel they need to rename 'Problem Sums'.
They should change it to 'CHICKEN FEED SUMS' instead.
This will bring smiles to the faces of the kids. Surely!
Whenever I set questions for my Bottoms Uppers, instead of typing 'Problem Sums' as the heading on their worksheets, I'd put 'EASY PEASY LEMON SQUEEZY SUMS!' and their faces would light up instantly....and then dim when they see the * beside the last 3 questions. Heee!

I am not in favour of 'PROBLEM SUMS' because in a way, 'problem' is a negative word.
So how can the children give their attention to, or have a thought about, something that is negative and not have a negative emotional response to it?
Almost every single day, they see and hear these 2 words 'PROBLEM SUMS.'

Just think about Law of Attraction.
If you are feeling fat, you cannot attract thin....
If you feel poor, you cannot attract wealth.....
If you feel that 'PROBLEM SUMS' will always be a problem for you, you cannot your get A* or A, or worse, you attract the most feared grade of every kid (and principal and teachers and parents and tutors!): the U grade.

Anyway, on my off days, I'd usually chill at Macdonalds after dropping Nyla off at school.
Most of the time, I would be tackling the problem sums and try to come up with ways on how to make my Bottoms Uppers 'get it'.

However today, I was having a terrible migraine and I couldn't solve this one tricky son of a B&*^% problem sum.

Now, I am a firm believer of : When in doubt, ask.

I saw a group of girls who are probably from an elite school who were chit chatting among themselves, probably about Justin Bieber.
Yeap, they are in Primary Six alright because I asked.
Like I said, when in doubt, ask. Somemore, they were not wearing uniform so I had to be sure.

I approached them for assistance and they merrily tried to solve that horrible horrible question.
Man, I felt like they were my seniors.
I told them this and they were so sweet to tell me that there were a few ocassions when their teacher was also unable to solve some sums.

FOUR alert and vibrant heads are definitely better than ONE (yes, me.)
Within fifteen minutes, they managed to solve and their representative explained to me step by step, I wished I brought a voice recorder along so I could play it for my tutees. She was damn clear lor!
Girl, please apply for NIE in 10 years' time, ya.
I felt really good after all that uuhhhuhh....ok yes... uhuh....Oh yes I get it!

However, the happiness was rather shortlived.

Me: Thanks so much dear!
The representative of the group: No problem! You're welcome, AUNTY!

Hmm...Apparently, doing Maths not only gives you a headache. In my case, it makes one age faster as well. :S