Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bahasa Melayu

Nyla is able to speak most comfortably in English, however, I am ashamed to say that with regards to Bahasa Melayu, it's berterabor.
Nyla's halting Malay has called my entire family to place an emphasis on literacy such as reading Malay books and speaking more frequently in Malay.
Then, I was very proud of Nyla for mastering English language pretty well. Well, my mom has mentioned several times that my vocabulary skills were nowhere near hers when I was four.
Mom, you didn't stimulate me enough ah?!
But then again, kids nowadays are very very smart, don't ya all think?



Wak Gayah and my mom with their respective grandkiddos.
Anyway, one of my most favourite aunties who is a Malay Language teacher, Wak Gayah, was sharing with me on the importance of Bahasa Melayu because she noticed a very worrying trend among the Malay pupils at present.
If previously, the Malay pupils could so easily attain As for their Mother Tongue, it is not the case for today's kids. She is currently teaching the Lower Primary kiddos and many of these Malay pupils are struggling with their Bahasa Melayu.
Just a few weeks ago, Wak Gayah said "Kin, kau jangan nak speaking je dengan Nyla. Nanti budak tu masuk primary school, susah nanti."
And of course, my mother, Puan Rokiah, nodded her head ever so vigorously and gave me a "See! I told you!" look. Bleah!

This made me a bit tersentak.
Wak Gayah meant her words so seriously she bought a stack of Malay books for me to read to Nyla the week after.
And I must really thank her because Nyla is pretty hooked on those books. Cool stuff!
Now, she even attempts occassionally to speak in Malay. Cute stuff!

And...I caught Nyla reading this book on the eve of her birthday. Hehe. How relevant. :)
Terima Kasih Wak! Kin sayang wak! :)