Monday, November 15, 2010

AKU NAK KAHWIN (I WANNA MARRY) Symposium



Mr E and I have been invited to speak at a marriage symposium organised by Darussalam Mosque, Just Parenting Association and Adam Association.



The last time both of us 'combined powers' to speak was some 8 months ago at the "Parenting in the New Infocomm Age Seminar" organised by IDA and UFamily. Together, we shared with the audience how we use new infocomm tools to interact with Nyla.

So, what are we going to share on the 4th December at Republic Poly Cultural Centre?
Hmmmmm. We will definitely share some personal bits of our six and a half year marriage.
Some mistakes and what we have learnt.
An example:
So many couples save up a huge sum of money for the mak andam la...catering la.....deco la.....
Aiyooooo so unnecessary lor!
NOTE NUMBER 1: Now that we can look back and reflect, our advice to you eager couplings: SCRAP the idea and instead use the money buy your own house.
Mr E and I spent close to 2 years living under our parents' roofs and now that we have our own house, what were we thinking back then man?
Staying on our own is bliss. On top of that, it teaches us both to be independent and maintain family harmony.

While we were discussing on what to speak at the symposium, Mr E suddenly took the time capsule and travelled back to 2004 (the year we got married)
Mr E: Eh you remember when we just got married, you served me those mini croissants AND coffee..Now only coffee. Slack sia you.
Me: What to do? GIANT no longer sells them what...

Mr E: Last time when my feet were real itchy, you would fill the bucket with warm water, put dettol and I would soak my feet in it leh. How come you no longer do that for me now? *while scratching his feet*
Me: Tipah tertipu hokay. I thought it was going to be a one time thingy and your feet would be cured. Didn't know that the itch on your feet would last like....forever...

Then, I decided to join him in his flashback time capsule and 'revisited' year 2005 (the year Nyla was born)
I was one kancheong spider who had this phobia of giving birth at home.
So the moment I reached 38 weeks and experienced discomfort, I was convinced I was going into labour.
On that very day, it was Mr E's important day at work.
Me: I think it's today.
Him: No la. Cannot be. Pls don't sabo me.
Me: Really. I ain't kidding.

So Mr E put on his masam face and sent me to hospital. And then when the doctor confirmed that I was indeed having contractions, he felt sorry. Yak dussssshhhh!

Now, I was also scared of the delivery so I took ALL types of pain relief: pethidine......gas...... and epidural and I still remember what Mr E said: Oooooiiiii, relack ah shopping.
Obviously, I didn't care and just 'shopped'. Nyla came out pretty much 'stoned'. Sorry babe!

Till today, Mr E found the epidural part scary. He teared when he saw me all curled up. He was extremely worried about the risks involved in the administration of anaesthesia. (esp the part when the needle enters the spinal column)
I,on the other hand, was at the other spectrum of emotions, just glad that there wasn't anymore pain! Woots!

POST DELIVERY
Me: You remember when I was pumping milk in the middle of the night and you said,"Can't you wait and do this when the sun rises?"
You think I WANT TO WAKE UP AT 3AM TO EXPRESS MILK?!
Mr E: Sorry la. The electric pump was so noisy. Disturbed my sleep you know....

Then there were some hilarious moments.
Wahlau, post delivery just sucked big time for me, especially the boobies part!
The breasts were really engorged and I read on the Internet that cabbage leaves could help ease the engorgement. Mr E bought the vege for me and his eyes just widened when I laid them on the breasts.

Mr E: Nice bra. Going green huh.
I just kept quiet. Too in pain to laugh.
Now, obviously he wanted a reaction so he continued...
Mr E: Later I take thousand island k ....then can eat salad together- gether on the bed.
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!
Super irritating right this fellow?!!!!

Funny how Mr E and I couldn't wait for Nyla to be 4 months (the age babies grow out of colic) when she was a wailing and sleepless newborn and she's 5 years old now. Oh how time flies.
NOTE NUMBER 2 to you eager couplings: HAVING A BABY WILL TURN YOUR LIVES UPSIDE DOWN.
HEEEEEYYYYYUGE RESPONSIBILITY yo.






Then we 'fast forwarded'to 2006, the year we got our own place at Bukit Timah, our very first home.
Sweeeeeettttttt. :)

Mr E: Remember I had to go to Doha for 3 months and you couldn't stop crying?
Me: Yeah. You also cried what. But so touching when you came back on my birthday.
Mr E: I was so sad to leave you and Nyla behind....If I were to go again now, would you cry like how you did then?
Me: Of course.....NOT. Heeeeeee!
Yeapppp, we truly had a great time reminiscing the good



and also the bad ol times.

I'd be lying if I say Mr E and I never faced issues. We do have our long running arguments.


Which couple doesn't go through a rocky patch at some point in their relationship, man?
If you raise your hand, don't bulls&*%$ la you.

Arguing doesn't mean that your relationship is in trouble.
The relationship just needs a little tune-up in which us, 2 very different people seek resolution and solution, processes which entwine respect, growth and rekindled love. We need to be very committed.


So young peeps, whether or not you intend to get married or are already married with kids or no kids, do pop by Republic Polytechnic Cultural Centre on 4th December 2010 (Saturday) from 2pm to 5pm.
You may want to log on to Facebook (Darussalam Mosque) or call 67770028 for more details and tickets!
See ya!