Thursday, May 21, 2009

Culinarily challenged, no more.

I have always loved (and still do!) collecting a variety of recipes from blogs.
(And special thanks to Wana for adding on your Sabsuka recipe to my portfolio! Simply delicious babesy.)
I even bought a few recipe books which were sadly placed on the highest shelf.
After looking at the mouth watering pictures of the food, I'll always design some delicious mean meals in my imagination.

Well, let's just say that I am someone who has always been interested in diet and nutrition, but somehow it was just impossible for me to translate that passion into practice.
I mean how to when I was never at home for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I am definitely not exaggerating here.
Teaching, which comprised of the lesson planning, the marking, the setting of exam scripts, the admin stuff, took up that much of my time. So, naturally, cooking took the back-est seat.
Those extremely long, emotionally exhausting days in the trenches of working motherhood. :(

One of my goals after I quit work is to learn how to cook malay dishes because my mister absolutely digs those assam pedas, sambal ayam, sotong singgang and whatever melayu dishes there are.
So you can imagine his grouchy face whenever I suggested ordering pizza or my masterpiece mean beef lasagne. (Everyone seems to love it except him! Argh! Frustrating indeed.)

I've been cooking up a storm in the kitchen the past few weeks.
Yup, finally put those dusty cook books to good use.
And finally after so many years, I have learned how to cook ayam lemak cili padi, thanks to Di and her momma!
We rarely eat out ever since I turned into Rachael Ray. Hah!
I must also thank my mom (the smartest lady in the whole wide world) who taught me how to cook in bulk then freeze in small portions.
My freezer currently boasts some authentic malay dishes that can last my family a whole month.
Yippedy Doo.
Now would you excuse me, the husband is coming home and they say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach.
Menu for today I hear you ask?
Ayam lemak cili padi, sambal udangs (the big fat ones!) and telur mata lembu (complete wth cut green chillies and onions and not forgetting kicap manis!)